Here is the blog for whichever day of the week this is, October 1
Happy Government Shutdown Day
Pat is still in the ICU, and still getting some vent support, but we are inching closer to our goal. Pat has generally been doing well, but had a fever today and had to go for a CT scan. That was a bit of an adventure. The staff lets me help, and I went to CT with Pat to whisper words of encouragement in her ear. The nurses, as noted have been attentive and perceptive, and have done their best to keep her comfortable. She's had a good response to medications.
As mentioned, her mother and her sister-in-law are here, which gives Pat a lot of comfort. She likes to have us talk to her, and her mom and Suanne can talk to her more than I can, at least without lapsing into a discussion of Starling's principles of physiologic hydrodynamics and renal handling of sodium. They are also good for a hug, when I need one (a lot). I'm grateful for their presence.
I'm back in the Safra Lodge, it's 11 pm. It's an absolutely wonderful place, a short walk from the Clinical Center (where Pat is). It is very difficult to get onto the NIH campus after 10 PM, but I can walk to and from the CC and the Lodge anytime, so I can stay late with Pat. One of the NIH social workers, on her own, got me set up for a room in the Lodge. I love social workers.
The Clinical Center patient care areas still function as usual, but the Government shutdown has affect us, somewhat. Some parts of the Clinical Center have shut down, including some of the research areas, and the au bon pain café where I usually get coffee. I use the DC Metro to travel, as it's easier than trying to find parking and it's kind of fun. Plus, usually, I can get back onto the NIH campus pretty easily, using the visitor entrance. But today, 10/1, the visitor entrance was closed, so I had to walk about a half mile to go to the alternate entrance, and walk back to the CC. I don't mind walking, but when my Sweetie needs me, I want to be there fast. We are hoping for a swift resolution of the situation.
Thanks for your comments! This morning (10/1) I was trying to understand what Pat was trying to say around her ET tube. With a little work I figured out that she was saying 'For heaven's sake, read the blog posts to me!' She loves them, and thank you for each and every one.
Keep your fingers crossed.
Greg
Princess Pat, Thinking of you this morning. Hope today is a good day for you. Great news for Night of Giving...Ofield Ten is making the Chicken Noodle Soup Mix for us. They have been such a blessing and are so supportive of NOG. I am planning to organize our "treasures" in the Palmer room next week. Tomorrow I leave for New York to see Katie and help her get something besides just a bed in her new apartment. Pat, know some days it might seem like you are not making progress, but you are and each day is one day closer to your goal. I am sending my prayers, love & positive thoughts your way....and to your wonderful Knight/Prince Greg as well.
ReplyDeleteI am glad to know that the shutdown is not hurting you. The sun is out today and I am wishing we were together on an adventure to find joel's new book I guess i have to do this one on my own. Not to worry I have a coupon. I have been keeping Karen up dated and she has been sleeping with the prayer shawl you made her and praying wrapped in it because it makes her feel closer to you. I am having a hard day today I feel so very far away from you, and like I could do something if I was there. I know that is not true and we are close in our hearts. I know you have the best people with you and they are doing everything that can be done. Today however I just feel like we should be together.So I declare God's favor and healing on both of us today.I miss you . I love you I am looking forward to when we can talk. I will check in later. love kim
ReplyDeleteDear Friend and her family. I decided I needed to know something about the NIH so I look it up on google. Now I feel a little closer to you. The safra lodge looks like a nice place... Abby only got a 21 on the mcat:( she knew she would most likely have to take it again, but was hoping to do better the first time. Gods plan is sometimes hard to understand. I am going help Sue (Erins mom ) with her garage sale.. Its Friday and Sat. but going to get it set up in the garage today. I had mine last week and only made $80. Bummer!!! so much work for so little money. Love you all so much. Hope you have a day full of good news!!! Keep smiling and feel all the love coming your way HUGS Leslie
ReplyDeleteWell, since Pat wants you to read her the blog posts, here goes. Pat we are praying for you and your entire family daily. And when you are up to it, I would be happy to sing for you. And yes, I really can sing softly. Gentle hugs and healing thoughts are sailing to you right now. Love, Paula
ReplyDelete