Thursday, October 24, 2013

Thursday, October 24, 9:45 PM

A busy day for Pat. She was visited by PT (physical therapy) and OT (occupational therapy) and SLP (speech and language pathology) as well as multiple doctors, nurses and other staff. She walked out into the hallway, she sat for a long time, and she ate more than ever before. And, by the end of the day, Pat was transferred to the regular floor. I hope she stays there.

I left her bedside about 8 PM after seeing her be comfortable for the night. It is quite a transition. Pat is determined to not go back to ICU. She uses her breathing stuff, she sits, she walks, she talks - sounds like a doll. Well, she is my doll and I think she is the bravest woman in the world.

The doctors don't give a definite time for transfer back to Grand Rapids, but it will be a 'few days' yet (that's doctor talk for 'we don't know', trust me).

Pat overcame a number of hurdles today. She was a bit scared to eat for fear of choking. The SLP person came by and made Pat take BIG bites of food instead of LITTLE bites of food. Surprisingly, it went much better. Pat overcame her fear (like she always does) and now is eating better.

When I asked Pat if she would like to hear the blog comments tonight, her eyes lit up and she smiled and was all set for some fun. She really does take comfort and encouragement from all your blogs. She likes the Palmer and Park updates (thanks Sara and Deb) and family updates (from Deanna, her side, and Sue, my side, and Dawn, every night I'm here I watch another Doctor Who-I'm actually growing to like Matt Smith) and the kind thoughts of Kim and Ria and Leslie and everyone whose name I haven't included for the sole reason that I have a Y chromosome. Your replies and comments make Patricia happy. And that is good. Thanks to you all.

Greg

5 comments:

  1. Yeah" way to go Pat! Keep up the good work so that we can see your big, bright smile back here in GR:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray not the ICu again! And big bites, just a way to go girl. Greg thanks for the translation. I'm sitting in the train heading out for work again. The flu is flying around here again, so a lot of coughing in the house. Willem did have some days off his work And has to start today again. He just doesn't likes that at all at this moment :-) with 3 late shifts in a row. Johan is also to his work at the agency And is looking forwards to the opening of the new bowlingcenter here in Harderwijk this afternoon. So my train is almost there in Amersfoort so take care.
    Lots of prayers And love coming your way from overseas. Hugs, ria

    ReplyDelete
  3. What good news! Back on the regular floor! I know Pat is highly motivated to be making progress. We are having a quiet day here, Andrew finished school in four days this week, so he has today off from lessons. I'm sure there will be a silly amount of video gaming going on instead :) Abigail has lessons to finish, and I will be going grocery shopping. It's that time of year when I never know how many hunters there will be for lunch on the weekends. We love the company, but it means I definitely need to make it to the grocery store! We had a hard frost here last night, and Abigail is going out to take some pictures before it all melts. I love seeing the frost too, but I think I'll stay inside and bake something! Have a great day! Hugs and love from Deanna and family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always so very very glad to hear of forward progress, I am so very proud of you. I am glad to hear you are on a regular floor that just makes me giggle. Mickey's grandma died so be thinking of them as they handle all that. and me as I don't handle all that. [even though if they would let me it would be better] Warren birthday is this weekend but now i think we will push it back a week. so very much to tell you I miss you more than any words can say. I love you more than any words can say. I hope today you see as much progress as you did yesterday. love kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess who was just here in my office ... looking over my shoulder at this latest blog? Your partner in crime - Miss Sara! Yep ... she's heading over to The Room to organize, etc. Next week I will put another reminder in the Kidz News about bringing items for Night of Giving. Don't worry ... we'll keep nagging, nagging, nagging! ahahahaha Ask Coach Dennis - it's what I do best!!! Take care now Princess Pat. Glad you are out of ICU! XOXOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete