Thursday, October 3, 10 AM
Whew! Pat came through the second surgery very well. It was shorter than the first, not so much fluid resuscitation required, and overall she seems to be more comfortable than yesterday, even considering that, as of this moment, she is 10 hours post-op. The problem was fixed, per the surgeon, and he seems pretty optimistic, and though she has a little extra hardware (couple of drains) that may be in for a while, the recovery from this surgery should go much better (as the recovery from the last one wasn't going anywhere at all, any recovery is better, by definition).
Pat is awake, tired, smiles at times, wants us to talk to her (she's still on the vent) and after the PT/OT crew came by, she is doing exercises and making us help her with range of motion, which we do gladly.
She already is much stronger than she was yesterday, pre-op. Her numbers (the ones I can see, anyway, on the monitor) look good, she has a triple-lumen IJ CVL this time which means easier blood draws and IV and med management without five (yes, count them, five) separate IVs in her arms.
She is bound and determined to get off the vent within the next 24 - 48 hours and, by golly, I think she'll do it. Vi and Suanne are here and are just fantastic to have around. Despite being sleep-deprived themselves, they are on the job, talking to Pat, reassuring her, keeping Pat's spirits up, and keeping me from going completely crazy. The docs have been good, the Physiatrist (who plans rehabilitation) was a pleasant, friendly guy who knows some of the docs I know in Grand Rapids, the surgery fellows focused and attentive but also good at keeping us informed despite being sleep-deprived themselves; the ID (infectious disease) team, well, hmm, they acted like ID docs, and the nurses are all doing a great job and are good at picking up subtle cues from Pat that she needs something. The respiratory therapist re-secured her ET tube which is now much more comfortable and as a bonus put Pat's hair up in a knot which is much nicer. Even the social workers are proactive in helping our stay go well. All in all, I am much less frantic than last light, and Pat looks so much better.
E and Froggie are feeling better too. They are perched on the back of a chair, keeping a watchful eye on Patricia.
I am cautiously optimistic. I love her very much. More soon.
Greg
hey, stop scaring me. I am glad we found the missing piece as to why you were unable to get better. I am so very sorry you had to go back in to surgery. I hate going backwards on your behalf .Ever one there with you loves you so much I hope you can feel it. You just rest today I have got the rest. I love you. I miss you. God is good all the time. love kim
ReplyDeleteThe Miss Fits thought you both would enjoy a little laugh...
ReplyDeleteDoctors' Assessment of the ACA
The American Medical Association has finally weighed in on Obama's new health care package-
The Allergists were in favor of scratching it, but the Dermatologists advised not to make any rash moves.
The Gastroenterologists had sort of a gut feeling about it, but the Neurologists thought the Administration had a lot of nerve.
Meanwhile, Obstetricians felt certain everyone was laboring under a misconception, while the Ophthalmologists considered the idea shortsighted.
Pathologists yelled, "Over my dead body!" while the Pediatricians said, "Oh, grow up!"
The Psychiatrists thought the whole idea was madness, while the Radiologists could see right through it.
Surgeons decided to wash their hands of the whole thing and the Internists claimed it would indeed be a bitter pill to swallow.
The Plastic Surgeons opined that this proposal would "put a whole new face on the matter."
The Podiatrists thought it was a step forward, but the Urologists were pissed off at the whole idea.
Anesthesiologists thought the whole idea was a gas, and those lofty Cardiologists didn't have the heart to say no.
In the end, the Proctologists won out, leaving the entire decision up to the assholes in Washington.
hehehe
To all of you tired wonderful people,
ReplyDeleteWe are so thankful that the surgery went well and Pattie is making progress. We will continue to pray God's wonderful healing hands on Pattie and that Greg, Aunt Violet and Sueanne get some much needed sleep. Connie also sends love and prayers.
Lots of Love,
Dave and Sandy Stiles
Boo, sorry to hear about the complications! I'm glad Pat is back up and running so quickly.. come home soon! :D <3 <3
ReplyDeleteGood Evening Aunt Pat and Uncle Greg,
ReplyDeleteI have enjoyed reading your blog and staying up to date on your progress. You just keep up the good work and you'll be all better in no time :) Well since Uncle Greg says you like being read to I guess I will talk (type) to ya a bit.
I don't know if you knew that Keith had pancreatitis last year. It started suddenly in Oct 2012 and he was hospitalized 4 times from Oct to Jan. He had his gall bladder removed because they thought this could be a cause of the pancreatitis, it turned out not to be. He was really sick and it was frustrating because they could not tell us what was causing him to have acute, recurrent pancreatitis. We finally ended up at UNC in the pancreatic clinic and found out that he has a genetic disorder called pancreatic divisum. Not alot they can do for this. However, God is the great physician and Keith has not had an attack since January....10 whole months. Praise the Lord! We are talking about this this morning before he left for work, that a year ago this month is when that all started. A year goes by so quickly. Next year this time you can look back and say you have come such a long way! I pray complete and total healing for you!!
On a lighter note, mom and dad are at the beach and I have been keeping them up to date on your progress. They do not have computers down there, they barely have phone service. When they find a spot with signal they have to stand real still and hold a metal coat hanger up to make a call. Just kidding (about the coat hanger, lol) The beach they are at is on a Marine base. Daddy and Mom get together several times a year with his buddies that he was in Vietnam with. These were guys that were wounded and daddy was their "doc". They all call him "doc". One of the fellas has a prosthetic leg as he lost his leg in Vietnam. I'll tell you those guys act like they are teenagers when they get together, except they can't get around with out a wheelchair and a cane. Daddy called me yesterday and said (all excited) "guess what I did today! I killed a rattlesnake!" Well, I said he is either the bravest man I know, or he is a moron. I still haven't decided which one yet. He grabbed this snake by the tail, which kind of made it unhappy, to say the least. This is not an ordinary snake mind you, this is a 4 feet long, 4 fanged, 12 buttons on his rattely tail, snake. Apparently this guys shed their fangs, that's why he has 4, he grew new ones but hasn't lost the old ones yet. So, he grabs the snake by the tail and of course it turns around to see what in the world is brave enough to grab it's tail and it sees doc and his cane. Can you imagine what that thing thought. Well, according to daddy, he raised his head, hissed and shook his tail. At this point Daddy WHACKED IT WITH HIS CANE! ( I am going to guess the snake didn't see this coming). That's right, I said what did you do daddy and he said "I whacked it with my cane". Are we leaning towards moron yet? Then he procedes to pick it up and put it in his car so that he and Everett could continue on their errands on base. I said "daddy did you think that if it wasn't really dead it could slide under the seat and bite your foot?" He said " of course I did, that's why when we came back to the car we checked to make sure he was still in the back before we got in, and he was still there, so I knew he was good and dead." This is when we in the south say "Lord have mercy" or "Bless Your Heart". Sounds nicer than "moron" LOL I love my daddy!!! Just for the record, he intends on tanning the skin. I suggested he get a black stetson and wrap the skin around it with the 12 button rattler going up the side like a feather. I think this would be like, I don't know, Indiana Ron or something. Lord have mercy.
Daddy and Everett were invited to speak at the Wounded Warriors breakfast this morning. The folks in charge were delighted to have them speak, wounded soldier and his corpman who after all these years are like brothers and still support each other and have each others backs in dangerous situations, lol. I am sure their story is inspiring to those young soldiers who are dealing with their physical loss. I haven't talked to dad since the breakfast to see how it went. I wonder if they told them about the rattlesnake incident? Or about last fall when daddy and mom were at Everett's house in Alabama and got the golf cart stuck in the mud. Can't you imagine a dude with a prosthetic leg and a fella with a cane pushing a golf cart out of the mud. I'm telling you those two try to be 18 again. Bless their hearts.
ReplyDeleteWell, you have lots of prayers going up from your family in NC. It sure would be nice if we could all get together one day before too long. We have talked about all taking a trip your way, maybe 2014 will allow that.
You two keep looking after each other :) Stay strong and get better soon!
HUGS,
Amy
Much better news!!! Yeah Pat (and Greg). I'm parlaying that vent will be a thing of your past very soon:). Not parlaying - praying - errrg autocorrect! We definitely have hit fall colors here in GR, now if we could get rid of this 80 degree weather we'd be happy. I don't know if you heard, but I'm doing child care for David and Lauren Heth this year:). Little Ellie and I spend Monday, Wednesday and Fridays together. I'm loving it:). They are due with a baby boy any day now!!!! You take care and reach that ventless goal:)))))) hugs!
ReplyDeleteGoodmorning to all of you. It is so good to hear Pat is doing much better now.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Greg And Valerie to keep us posted how you are doing at the NIH. I'm thankful Mom And Suanne are supportng you Greg, because it is a hard thing also for you. For sure Mom And Suanne are better in talking :-) also. Now is Valerie there also And telling about the girls is the best ofcourse. I' m heading out for work now. My other message went wrong And wasn't published so I'll write more later. We keep up our prayers going overseas to you And lots of big hugs And kisses And thoughts And all the things blowing your way! Love, ria
For some reason, I have been unable to log in and comment! But I'm reading about and praying for your progress! Much love from your friends at Miss Fitness!
ReplyDelete