Friday, October 11, 2013

October 11, evening

An interesting day. When I arrived on the unit (Pat is still in ICU, not because she is that critical but because meds and things take a lot of time) they were whisking Pat away to radiology so, of course, I went there too. She had an ultrasound to look for blood clots and there were some small ones in the usual places, like where she had her big IVs in. The doctors are debating what to do, and ponder and consult other doctors ... just like I would do on the pediatric unit. There are a couple of really great fellows (not guys, they're girls, but they are doing additional training after their 5 year surgery residency) who take the time and patients to explain things to me and Vi and Suanne. It helps.

Pat also had a swallowing study, where she had to drink some disgusting stuff to test her swallow and how things are working. The swallow study was OKAY and the rest of the stuff was okay and so they are letting Pat have a few sips of clear liquids now. You should have seen her face with her first real sip of water. Big time smile. The smile I love to see.

She is spending more time up in the chair position and tolerating it better. So we work on strength and movement and being awake during the day and sleeping better at night, and it is good. Pat is smiling more, and protesting more and questioning her doctors more, all of which I like! We have a ways to go, but we're going.

Thank you all for you comments. I love to see Pat smile when I read them to her.

Greg

3 comments:

  1. Keep workin' it Patty! We all love that smile of yours, so I pray that every day brings you lots of little things that bring that smile to your face. You have more strength in you than any one I know, and that's only part of what we love about you. But also know that you are allowed to let others be strong for you when you need the rest. You stay ever in my heart, my thoughts and my prayers. Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. drinking, that's sounds good to me. How long before something with fizz? I miss you I love you Just keep doing the two step, two steps forward , two steps in any other direction, even twill if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait until we can all see that beautiful smile:) And so glad you are getting to drink now....must be such a joy. Mike and Michael took Maddy and Ethan to see a movie today.. Erin is up north with some friends.. Its a beautiful fall day..I am keeping busy getting rid of more stuff!!! Have a big pile to take to goodwill later. We does all the crap... oh I mean stuff come from???? lol What would I do if there wasn't stuff to get rid of?? LOL HUG LOVE and PRAYERS for you all Leslie

    ReplyDelete