Monday, October 21, 2013

Monday, October 21

If anyone is still checking the blog, E has an update.

When I left the NIH last Tuesday Pat was out of the ICU, gradually improving, starting to eat some, and working with physical therapy. Unfortunately over the past weekend she began to have some more problems breathing an ran a fever, and is back in the ICU. She did not have to go back on the ventilator, but is getting some oxygen assistance (bipap) and is back on the antibiotics they discontinued. She's able to eat, but it bothers her stomach some when she does.

Once again through schedule adjustments graciously made by my co-workers, I was able to come back down to the NIH and arrived early today. Though Pat was quite tired, she was able to participate in physical therapy and has kept up some of her strength.

I hope the doctors can work to get some of the fluid off so she can breathe easier. The surgical team has consulted the ICU staff and pulmonology, so they are working on the problem.

I'll keep doing updates as long as I'm here.

Greg & E

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update! You sure have some awesome co-workers, and I bet Pat is happy to have you back. Pat, I hope you are breathing easier today, and that the medical team is inspired with new ideas to help you heal more quickly! I hope to get a little more gardening done today, and pick a few more apples for applesauce and pie filling. I do have to remember to leave room in the freezer for a few deer! Andrew will go to his Medieval Martial Arts co-op class today, and learn about breaking into castles, and how castles were fortified. He's really enjoying the class! Home school is going great this year, I'm really pleased with how hard the kids are working and how well they are doing. They would never claim to like school, but they like how we are doing school :) I hope your day is filled with good rest, good work, and small quantities of good food! Hugs and love from Deanna and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. i check every day hoping for some news, thanks for filling me in.Praying for all of you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the update.
    It is good to hear that Pat has her big love next to her side again. You're having such a wonderfull co-workers.
    For sure Pat is fighting to get healthy again and I know it is a struggle now, but I also know she will manage!!!!!!!
    I'm proud to have you as my sister girl.
    Lots of prayers and love, Ria, Willem and Johan.

    ReplyDelete