Wednesday, November 6, 2013

November 6
8 AM

Hi, Lily Pad followers! I'm getting ready to head to the Continuing Care facility to see Pat. That's a really nice thing to say, that I can get up and go visit her, and be there in twelve minutes instead of twelve hours! Since it is not far from the hospital (where I work), I will be able to see Pat, take her cards, read your blog comments to her, and do her laundry quite easily.

It's a busier place; instead of a private room, Pat has a roommate, and potentially two (each room could hold four people, but they seem to max out at three). The nurses are busy, but in general seem quite friendly and helpful. There seems to be an inability, though, to break free of something that beeps all night long. Though Pat has no monitors or IVs to make noise, there is a thing in the ceiling of the hall that beeps once a second whenever anyone has pushed their call button. Since someone is always pushing their call button, the thing beeps continuously. Such is life. I have grown more sensitive to these things in regards to my patients at the hospital.

Physical and occupational therapy is much more involved than at the NIH. Pat, as always, wants to do as much as she can, and she is doing more every day. Her ability to stand and transfer move is much better. She is a bit discouraged, but I see how much improvement she has made, and it's a lot. We are still working on getting the diet right and the meds right and get off oxygen. It's one small step at a time, but it's a step forward!

So, off I go! Thanks again for your comments. Sara, Pat loves hearing about the NOG progress, and her heart is always with the kids at Palmer. She knows the people from Park Church are keeping her in their prayers, and thanks to Rev. Todd and all the staff. I bring the Congregationalist to her and it cheers her up. Pat always smiles at messages from Ria, her sister across the sea. Deanna, we had a suggestion, based on what we have seen: rather than having Rob go hunting, just park a bunch of cars around, have a party, and in the morning go collect all the deer that have run into them. Kim, eventually Pat will be walking the aisles of Once Upon a Child, so don't despair. And thanks to Leslie, and sister Suz and everyone who keeps Pat in their thoughts, whether you blog or not.

More updates soon!

6 comments:

  1. It is good to hear my dearest Pat, you're getting a smile on your face when you listen to the things I have to write to you.
    For sure you made a big improvement and now you are already in Grand Rapids, that means another step closer to home again. Ofcourse NIH was good but this is better and are the kids and Greg having more the chance to be with you. In my mind I see Greg walking his way to the hospital with his music on and stop at the rehab center to give you his smile now everday again. It was awesome to see you on the pictures with Brian. I did see all the pictures of the girls, aren't they all perfect! But of course perfect girls will be sticking on pictures also perfect. I'm not sure if I translated this correctly, but like I'm always saying when they make pictures of me .... I don't stick on photopaper. And the girls with their Mom and Dad did do a wonderful job. I also loved your pictures with Halloween, I'm laughing in myself seeing you having fun and als telling Greg he has to do the trick or threat at home. Yesterday you're card came and it was a beauty with also all the writing on it. I'll see if I can cut and paste the pictures so I can scrap a page for it, it would be fun having this page next to the Halloween page of the girls. Sylvia is really a princess, Veda is lovely and looking noughty out of her eyes beeing rather a handfull I suppose, dear Evvie is exploring the world but has the face of Veda when she was younger. It is such a lovely bunch who will be very happy if they can see Grandma again. Otherwise around also ofcourse. Here things are going there way. Johan did have some bad weeks but he is improving also again. He is working now 3 days by 4 hours at work at the agency, he started the bowling leagues again. He lost a lot of strenght so he is seeing it at his scores, but it will be getting better. Harderwijk does have a new Bowling Center now, 12 lanes and closer to our home. The old one has to shut down, because the city gouvernment has different huge plans with that area. Willem is having trouble with his arm, the translation gives Tendonites, so he has to see the physiotherapist now also. But you know Willem he is always going on. Yesterday he tried to find the rehab on Google Streetview because he knows where Fuller is and all the other Streets we have been. It was fun seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week I've got some new medicine, it is giving me more headaches, but releaves me from some pain. Like our motto is, we'll see how it all works out. Some 2 weeks ago we received your cards for Mieke and Atie. I just opened it before I found out it wasn't for me, it was written down at the envelope but the mail stamped over it. They appreciated it very much. It still is difficult for them. Did I write before that Stefanie, Atie's daughter is pregnant again? After beeing sick the first months she is doing well now and is happy to know it is a daughter again and she is dued in February 24th. The rest of the family is doing fine. Last week when Mieke was helping here, Stella's girl Michelle was with her and we have been making a beautiful card for you. Tomorrow Jordy, Stella's son is turning 7 again and he also is a hand full. We've got some Lego out of the store, because he loves Lego!
    It is always so perfect this blogging, so we can keep in touch with you and hearing how you are doing. Greg you are doing a wonderful job and I really appreciate it so much. A special big hug for you!
    Dearest Pat keep on working so hard as I know you will do, you've improved so much already again and I'm really really really happy you're close to home now.
    Working with English text is doing so much better with the upstairs computer, my Ipad or laptop does make funny things in texting when I'm trying to write to you. Now I'm heading to the mailbox because there is a card coming your way again. You keep me busy girl because I told myself just to send selfmade cards to you.
    Take care, prayers and love is coming your way blowing overseas like every day.
    Big hugs to all of you, Ria, Willem and Johan.


    Fun ..... my message was to long so I had to cut and paste it in another comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did see that in writing about you walking the aisle do Once Upon! I can not wait to see your smiling face and hear your laughter.
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grand Rapids is a better place because you are back !!!! It must be so wonderful to see your family I am sure that will help with your recovery. Now you can get real hugs from them!! Can't wait to see you and hear your wonderful laugh.. LOVE and HUGS Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Princess Pat!! Hope today is a wonderful day for you! I know how hard you are working and although it may seem like some days you are not making any progress you really are. As my mom used to say" It is always darkest before the dawn". The dawn is coming keep believing!! Terri Hunter helped me organize the Palmer room yesterday. I have the picture of you as Captain UnderPants & Princess Pat on the wall to keep me on task! All the secret santa items are labeled in tubs, the reusable bags are sorted by size (still need more),and we are preparing the room for what we purchase from feeding america. Also think I have a better handle on our finances! Looks like we are in good shape. Lisa is going to have Marcia get things in order for us. Ofield Ten is making 100 chicken noodle soup mixes next Friday, and I think Hope ten is also making meals! Can't wait to see you, but I have a bad cold right now and I do not want you to get sick.... also I am pretty sure you don't need a lot of people visiting you right now. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!! Love, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!! I like your suggestion about the deer party. I almost got a big buck myself a couple of nights ago. One of the kids asked me how big I thought it was, and I told them at least $2000. I'm glad I missed it! Rob and Gracie are off on the first big rabbit hunt of the fall. They are going to Drummond Island with Marty and Steve, and a young man from our church named Justin. They will be back Sunday night, so I have a few days to really throw away some cra---ah, do some reorganizing for Deer Camp next week. We have a pretty day here today, it's cloudy with lots of breaks in the cloud cover, so we get the big beautiful sunbeams breaking through regularly, lighting up the last of the colorful leaves in the yard. Abigail is curled up on the couch doing Chemistry while the kittens help her, and Andrew is avoiding Geometry. I think he forgot he already did the test. I'll let him mull it over a little longer and then remind him to check his planner. Silly boy! Have a great day, and keep on working! I'm looking forward to visiting as soon as you are ready! Love and hugs from Deanna and family.

    ReplyDelete