Hello, all Pat's friends and followers!
Here is an update at 11 pm 9/27. Pat is still in ICU and still getting some support from her friend, Mister Ventilator. But, she is awake and lets me know, through smiles and nods or shakes of her head, how she feels. Overall, physiologically, she is stable, and improving a bit. She still has a little way to go, but I think she is more comfortable today. We (Froggie and E and I) remind the staff from time to time that yes, surgery can be uncomfortable, and pain medicines will be really nice. The nurses in the ICU are actually quite nice and take good care of Pat; my job is to help them be aware of what she needs. It is, to be sure, difficult to balance the role of being physician and husband at the same time. I will be, first and foremost, Pat's husband and advocate when she can't. She is a most wonderful lady, and when she can be her own advocate again, well ... watch out.
The doctors (surgical, medical) are being cautious and careful in their decision making. It means Pat will be getting some support tonight (9/27) and we will see how she does on Saturday. Hopefully, Pat will be able to get her tube out, but it depends on how she is doing. I want Pat to be off the vent, but I know the docs are being cautious and, having been on both sides of the issue, I will trust their judgement, especially because I agree.
The greater lights (highest up on the totem) are largely aloof or non-existent. The fellows, despite being surgeons, are actually a nice and caring bunch, which I measure by how happy they appear when Pat is improving. There are a couple that are really good doctors with a nice bedside manner (how did they become surgeons, exactly?) and I am pleased to see them when they round, which they do several times a day, along with some of the medical support staff.
Pat likes me to read to her, and I am reading a story by Sue Grafton (I love the Kindle, thanks David and Brian and Valerie). It is good for both of us when I read to her. I love to see her smile, so I do everything to make her smile. But I don't like to see her laugh as that makes her incision hurt! We'll work on laughing later, just like we'll work on walking around, coughing, swearing at whatever (my job), and so on.
I want to let everyone know that I take the iPad to Pat's bedside and I read all of your messages to her word for word. She loves hearing them. I know, when the tube comes out, Pat will have lots of things to say. I'll pass those comments along in future blogs!
Greg (or as they know me at the NIH - Pat's Husband)
All the time I'm so happy to hear you and Valerie telling me how Pat is doing.
ReplyDeleteYou're such a wonderfull man taking such a good care for my sister thank you so much for that. This morning Willem had to go out of his bed very early and so I've been taking my iPad to look if there is some news. Because of the timedifference it is the first thing I do these days. I'm happy to hear the doctors do take good care also and I'm praying you feel better soon. Some words are difficult to understand for me, but I will get a translater for it. Thank you so much for reading this to Pat so I can tell her also she is just a wonderfull and strong and special lady to me. I wished I could be with you to hold you. Lots of love and prayers from overseas.
Thanks for the updates and keep them coming. Pat is in my heart and prayers daily, as are you. So glad you are reading to Pat as I am sure the soothing sound of your voice is far more important than the story. (Thumbs up for the Kindle. I like mine, too). Pat, I love you more than I can express and can't wait to hear your side of this story when we visit next. Feel blessed, because you are. Love Susie
ReplyDeletePrincess Pat & Sir Greg (Pat's Knight in Shining Armor)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the update. Greg, you are a wonderful husband and advocate for Pat. She is blessed to have you. I know your job is tough and I am sure Pat really appreciates all you are doing. She is blessed to have you! Glad to hear Pat has nice nurses & surgeons who care about her. She deserves the best! You are right they better watch out when she get's her strength back. Little do they know that they are caring for Super Hero Captain Underpants in disguise! Just so she doesn't start running the hospital. Pat, take it one day at a time. Each day there will be improvement and you will be closer to your goal! Somedays it might not feel like it but keep believing. Please keep being a princess. There is plenty of time for you to save the world once you are recovered. Sending my love, prayers & positive thoughts!
Not to worry I watch Tom {in blue bloods} for you, He looked concern a lot so i know he was thinking of you. I love you I miss you. I have lots to tell you. Just remember your job today is to get through today, I have got the rest.
ReplyDeleteKeep Smiling :) Hugs, Leslie
ReplyDeletewrapping you in love and prayers and blessings and hugs. We are with you both every step of the way.
ReplyDelete