Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Day, Wednesday, December 25, 2013

It has been a long time since our last blog. For those of you still following Pat's adventure, here is the latest update.

We last came home from the hospital on 12/14. Pat was weak, and had some annoying 'side effects' of hospitalization, but has been working to get better. The week of the 16 - 22 was good, as Pat was home and working on getting stronger. And thanks to kind friends from Park Church and those we know from around town, life was a little easier and a little less hectic! So many, many thanks for your visits and meal drop-offs and the cards and well-wishes that keep coming.

We met a milestone on December 17. Before Pat went into surgery on September 25, she gave me her wedding ring to keep safe. I wore it on a ribbon until I could finally put it back on her finger on Tuesday 12/17.

Pat had a visit to the Radiology department on Christmas Eve. They did some stuff, and replaced two drains with one single one that seems to be working pretty well this time. Also, to Pat's great relief, she did not have to be admitted to the hospital after having a procedure done (as has happened in the past). We came home, by way of a few French fries, by 11 AM. A nap and a snack and Pat was up and ready to go.

On Christmas Eve the Trowbridge family did what it has done for the past 15 years: we put luminaries along Cambridge Street. It has become a tradition for us, but we did not know how much of a tradition it was for others along our block. Pat stayed inside with the littlest grandgirl (Evvie) while Brian and David and the two older girls (Sylvia and Veda) went down the street with me, putting luminaries on each driveway. At the end of the street a family was waiting for us, saying that they looked forward to our visits each year. Sylvia and Veda burst into a rendition of 'Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer' which brought smiles all around. Sometimes we don't realize how much the things we do bring joy to others.

Included in this blog are, finally, some pictures. Pat is home, and here is a picture of her and her mother, who has spent so much time with us and has been soooo helpful over the past months (along with Pat's sister-in-law Suanne), and there are pictures of grandgirls Sylvia, in a hat, and Veda, and Evvie with Valerie. There is also a picture of the luminaries at night. What can't be shown in pictures is the love and graciousness that so many people have shown to us over the past months.

We'll get Patty back into action as soon as we can. I promise.

Happy Holidays,
Greg





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post - I'm so glad to hear that you were able to put out the luminaries and keep the tradition, and very happy that Pat is home for Christmas! Though I so wanted to be one of those who could provide "love and graciousness" in whatever small way open to me, upon your advice we will postpone our visit. I keep praying for health and strength each day. I love you both. Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to read this and Pat you are looking so good! I hope you feel better and better and better and better and better soon!
    I really loooooooovvvvvvveeeeee the pictures. Greg can you sent them to me at high solution please??? I'm heading upstairs now and I suppose you are taking an afternoon nap? Can I call you tomorrow or so?
    Brian, man you'r looking good!
    The picture of Mom and you Pat is awesome. Well I really need some new pictures now. And it is so good to see you at your kitchen table again my love.
    Lots of love, Ria

    ReplyDelete